How to move to Spain after Brexit?

If you are planning to move to Spain, Brexit may have raised a number of questions. Can British people still move to Spain after Brexit? How easy is it to get residency in Spain as a non-EU citizen? Do Brits need a Visa to live in Spain? Fortunately, Worldwide Lawyers are here to help make your dream of loving in Spain as easily as possible.

Can British people still move to Spain after Brexit?

Yes!!!! Since Brexit UK citizens no longer have the automatic right to residency in Spain but there are however still a number of ways that you can make Spain your home.

The 90 day rule

For those who don’t intend to live in Spain full time, you are still permitted to stay in Spain for a period of 90 days out of each 180 days period without any kind of visa/permit whatsoever.

The 90 days can be used in one block or in several shorter periods. This rule therefore allows you spend up to 6 months a year in Spain (as long as you don’t do it all in one go and don’t exceed 90 days in every 180 days).  So for those who have holiday homes (or intend to buy one) and do not intend to stay longer than this, nothing has changed. Yippee!

Can you live in Spain full time after Brexit?

If you wish to spend the majority of your time in Spain (more than 90 days in each 180 period), you will need to obtain a visa to permit you to live in Spain.

There are a number of Visa’s available which will allow you to live in Spain including:

Spain’s Non-Lucrative Visa

If you wish to live in Spain and do not intend working, then the Non Lucrative Residency Permit is the visa for you.

In order to obtain Spain’s non-lucrative visa, you must be able to demonstrate that you can support yourself financially without working. In Spain this visa is known as a “visado de residencia no lucrative”. It is also dubbed the “retirement visa” because this visa is commonly obtained by those hoping to retire in Spain.

Spain’s non-lucrative residency permit is a temporary residence visa. It initially lasts for one year, however you can renew this twice, with each renewal lasting for two years. After this you would have been residing in Spain for five years and will therefore be eligible to apply for long-term residency, should you wish to continue to live in Spain after this.

Find out about the eligibility criteria and the easiest way to apply for Spain’s non-lucrative residency permit here.

Golden Visa

If you bought a property in Spain after 27 September 2013 or intend to buy a Spanish property for 500,000€ or more, then the Golden Visa is the visa for you.

You must have paid 500,000€ or more (free of mortgage) towards the property. This means that the purchase price is 500,000€ or more with no mortgage or 500,000€ or more in addition to any mortgage amount.

If the property is in joint names, the visa applicant’s share of the property must be 500,000€ or more.

Can you obtain residency in Spain based on Spanish family roots or a partner that is from the EU?

If you are the partner of an EU national in Spain, you can apply for the “tarjeta de residecia de familiar de ciudadano de la UE” which is a family member Spanish residency card. This is one of the easiest residency permits to apply for as, if your spouse is already living and working in Spain, you just need to show that your partner is registered in the Spanish employment system and makes contributions to Spanish social security. This permit will also be available to any dependent children that you have.

If your spouse has an EU passport but is not a resident of Spain, you can not move to Spain independently of your partner. You would both have to move to Spain together. Your spouse would have to demonstrate that they have the required financial means to support you both whilst you are in Spain.

For more information about the types of Spanish visa available, how we can assist you with your plans to live in Spain or purchase a Spanish property, please contact Total Buying Abroad on 01244 478 911 or email

Article published: September 8, 2021