Cancelling your Spanish timeshare – How to get a refund and compensation
Are you unhappy with your Spanish timeshare? Timeshare maintenance fees increasing? Not using your timeshare enough? Want out of your Spanish timeshare?
Many Spanish timeshare contracts are actually illegal under Spanish law meaning that not only can you cancel your Spanish timeshare you might actually be entitled to money back, even if you’ve been using it?
Can I cancel my Spanish Timeshare?
If your Spanish timeshare contract is deemed to be illegal it will be null and void and you will be able to cancel and make a claim for compensation.
Is my Spanish Timeshare illegal?
Spanish timeshare contracts that were entered into after 5th January 1999 are illegal under Spanish law if any of the following are true:
- The contract is stated to be for a period of more than 50 years;
- The contract is for an unlimited or unspecified amount of time (i.e. it says ‘in perpetuity’);
- The timeshare contract does not relate to specific accommodation;
- The timeshare contract does not specify the particular week(s) that you are entitled to use the timeshare or it relates to ‘floating weeks’ or ‘points’ for example;
- The timeshare contract does not include information about your right to cancel.
If any of the above apply to your timeshare agreement, you will be able to get out of it and also claim compensation for the following:
- The amount you paid for the timeshare (if you paid any amount in the first three months of signing the contract, this amount is doubled!)
- The amount of maintenance costs you have paid since the contract was signed (even if you have used or exchanged some of your timeshare weeks)
- Interest and legal fees
The average amount awarded in Spanish timeshare compensation claims is between £20,000-£60,000 but some claims have been in excess of €100,000!
How to claim compensation for my timeshare in Spain?
The first thing to do is to find out if you have an illegal Spanish timeshare contract.
Total Buying abroad recommends contacting Worldwide Lawyers, who can arrange a free, no obligation review of your Spanish timeshare contract and advise how to cancel your Spanish timeshare and claim compensation.
They can also recommend specialist reputable Spanish timeshare lawyers who will advise whether your Spanish timeshare is illegal and the amount of compensation you would be entitled to. They can claim this compensation for you, should you wish, on a no win, no fee basis.
Contact Worldwide Lawyers about cancelling your Spanish timeshare on 01244 470 339 or at email@example.com
The reputation of the Spanish Timeshare market has never been good, however the attitude of the Spanish courts in continually awarding these timeshare compensation payments, as well refunds for Spanish off-plan deposits, yet again demonstrates Spain’s commitment to move away from the bad press of the past and protect foreign property purchasers in relation to not only Spanish timeshares but also other Spanish property purchases.
If you would like to purchase a property in Spain, download our guide to buying property in Spain safely and cost-effectively or speak to one of our friendly team on 01244 478911 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Article published: August 21, 2019